I hope you’ve all been enjoying my meal plans so far! As we head into this week, you might be noticing a pattern with how I cook and plan my meals: to ensure we get variety but also to make sure I don’t go crazy trying to cook every single day.
As a full time working mom, it’s almost impossible to do that! So leftovers are definitely my friend.
My strategy is to focus on making 4-5 meals each week, using leftovers 1-2 times, and eating out once a week with the husband and Layla. We still try to make healthy choices when we do eat out, so it’s a nice balance for all of us.
For this week, here is our dinner plan:
- Monday: Moroccan Chickpea Tagine with Quinoa Couscous
- Tuesday: Whole Wheat Pita Pizzas –> In addition to the toppings in this recipe, I’m adding sautéed garlicky kale (1 box of baby kale sauteed with 4 cloves minced garlic and 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil)
- Wednesday: Leftover Tagine!
- Thursday: Indian Spiced Vegetarian Sloppy Joes (or “Pav Bhaji”) –> This makes a ton of food, so I usually freeze half the filling and eat it on a week when I don’t feel like cooking 🙂
- Friday: Eat out
- Saturday: Potato Tofu Verde Enchiladas
- Sunday: Leftovers (either Pav Bhaji or Enchiladas)
Over the years I’ve gotten lots of questions from all of you about what I eat on a weekly basis, how I meal plan, etc. And so I thought the easiest thing to do would be to just share what we are actually eating on a weekly basis and how we balance things out!
Some of my general rules for weekly meal planning:
- Breakfasts for us are always some version of oatmeal – I just mix things up by changing toppings every so often. If you’re looking for a bit more variety, try one of these recipes here.
- Lunches are usually either leftovers, or one of these easy recipes here.
- For dinner: I alternate between super fast meals that are still healthy, and meals that might take a bit more time (no more than 45 min – 1 hour to make). I like variety but it’s hard to figure out variety 3 times a day every day, so I keep our breakfasts and lunches simple, and change things up each night for dinner! We also eat out once a week, and do leftovers once a week at least!
- Some Helpful Resources: Simple meal planning template, Weekly grocery list items.
For those of you who are new to meal planning, you can do it! Just follow this plan, make a shopping list, go shopping and make it happen! Happy cooking everyone!
TAGS: weekly meal plans