July 19th, 2014
Fried rice has always been one of mine and the husband’s favorite Asian dishes. I usually avoid it at restaurants because it’s just full of fat, made with white rice (empty calories!) and is so easy to eat a ton of without even realizing it. I was convinced that I could make a healthier version of fried rice that still tasted as sinful as the original recipe. The husband was skeptical.
But with a few secret swaps: tofu and edamame for the egg/meat traditionally used, and brown rice instead of white rice — this recipe turned out great! Thanks to the veggies, lean protein and healthy grains, this dish is also a one-pot meal. Hope you like it as much as we did!
Healthy Fried Rice with Edamame, Veggies, and Tofu
Nutritional Info Per Serving: 240 Calories, 5.8g Fat (1g Saturated), 320.2mg Sodium, 38.3g Carbs, 4g Fiber, 2.7g Sugar, 9.5g Protein
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 cups leftover cooked brown rice (or freshly cooked minute brown rice)
- 3/4 cup finely diced red pepper (Equals about 1 red pepper)
- 1/8 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup cooked, shelled edamame (I use the frozen kind and just defrost it - works great)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen, thawed, corn
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp Thai Red Curry Sauce (I use Trader Joe's version)
- 1/8 cup sliced green onion (for topping)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or large skillet until very hot (over medium high heat)
- Add the garlic, red pepper, onion, and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened and aromatic, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, edamame, corn, carrots, peas and tofu and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce and incorporate thoroughly
- When cooking is almost complete, add the Thai Red Curry Sauce and top with green onion.
Recipe by: The Picky Eater, pickyeaterblog.com
TAGS: asian recipes, entrees, gluten-free, kid friendly recipes, quick meals, vegan, vegetarian