Get your greens! This is one of the most nutritionally dense purees out there. Combining two of my favorite cruciferous veggies: cauliflower and broccoli with one of the healthiest green veggies out there: spinach – this is a wonderful way to make sure your baby gets their greens daily.
All three veggies contain phytonutrients, which have significant anti-cancer effects. They are all rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber too, and spinach is a veggie friendly source of iron.
A couple of notes on this puree:
1) There is a ton of fiber in this puree, so there is the potential for gas and/or tummy troubles if you introduce too much of it at once. Introduce it slowly, early in the day so any after-effects are dealt with before bedtime.
2) If your little one doesn’t like the taste of greens, try mixing it with whole milk organic yogurt and a little bit of pear. Layla loves that combination!
Baby Food Recipes: Broccoli, Spinach and Cauliflower Puree
1 ice cube = 1oz of food! This recipe makes 100 ice cubes (so feel free to cut this in half if you don't want as much food, or if you don't have space in your freezer for it!)
- 1 pound frozen organic broccoli
- 1 pound frozen organic spinach
- 2 pounds frozen organic cauliflower
- At least 16oz water - more for a thinner puree.
- Put all of the frozen veggies in your steamer and steam for 5 minutes until the broccoli and spinach is bright green.
- Put into a blender in batches (there will be too much to put in all at once). Add water to thin the puree.
- Pour into ice cube trays, allow to cool, cover/wrap and freeze.
- Thaw in the fridge the night before use, or thaw by putting the ice cube in a bowl over a bowl of hot water on the counter to defrost.
Spice up your baby's food! Serve with a pinch of garlic.
Recipe by: The Picky Eater, pickyeaterblog.com