This was one of the first recipes I created when I started cooking for my husband a couple years after we got married. It was part of my attempt to get him to enjoy pita pizzas – which now he actually requests pretty frequently! I served these crispy pizettes with homemade asparagus soup and it was a great light dinner for the two of us.
Goat cheese has such a distinct taste/flavor, you don’t really need to use too much of it to make this pizette stand out.
- Whole wheat pita bread (each pita bread should have no more than 140 calories per round, and 3-4g fiber)
- Fresh goat cheese – use about 1 oz per pizza
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Red onion – diced
- 1/2 red pepper – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- Mix the garlic and olive oil. Using a pastry brush, lightly spread on both sides of the pita. On a panini press or a grill pan, grill the pita on both sides until crispy.
- Crumble the goat cheese on the pita and let it melt a little
- Spread the tomato slices, diced red pepper & red onion on top of the goat cheese. Top with fresh basil slices.
- Use 1/4 tsp of the garlic olive oil mixture and sprinkle on top of the pizette.
- If you have a toaster oven, toast on low for 3-4 min. If you don’t have a toaster oven, you can put the pizzettes under a broiler for 3-4 min until the cheese and ingredients are warmed through.
- Top with a sprinkle of black pepper.