A few nights ago, I was totally craving pizza. But I was pretty full from a very late lunch, and didn’t want to make a whole pizza to eat for a snack/dinner. After rummaging around in my kitchen a bit, I realized that I had Trader Joe’s sprouted wheat tortillas in the Freezer. These tortillas are super nutritious (170 calories for a HUGE burrito size tortilla, with ~5g fiber and ~5g protein) and when baked, end up being really nice and crispy. So, I decided to throw together a flatbread with some veggies & cheese I had in my fridge. This recipe is SUPER easy to make, has only about 300-350 calories (depending on how much cheese you use) for an ENORMOUS flatbread pizza! It definitely satisfied my craving!
- 1 Trader Joe’s or Ezekiel Sprouted Wheat Tortilla – Burrito Size
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup – 1/3 cup yellow, orange or red bell pepper, diced
- Pizza sauce: I get the one from Trader Joe’s because it has very little added sugar. That’s the key here when buying pizza sauce – make sure it has very little (<8g) sugar!
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese – or any other favorite cheese you have!
- Bake the tortilla in the oven or toaster oven until slightly crispy (not 100%complete)
- Take the tortilla out of the oven, and top with sauce, veggies & cheese
- Put the tortilla back in the oven and bake until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese is melted. Eat!!
This is a great dish that takes only 15 min (max) to make! As you can see, you get a HUGE portion for a really balanced meal 🙂
On a totally separate note – be sure to check out our latest giveaway for specialty olive oil and/or gourmet gluten free bread here!